Sunday, June 27, 2010

Sunday in Costa Rica

So as you should know, I didnt go to Arenol Volcano with the rest of the group because it was going to be way too expensive after all the money Ive already spent. So instead Ive spent the weekend with my family, and it has proved... interesting. This morning we walked to a little Catholic church in their neighbor for the early service. I am not Catholic, so that was an experience in itself without in being in a different language. It was more boring in a language that I am not fluent in. But anyways, church is basically the same here as it is in the States. There was bunch of old ladies who like to sing louder than everyone else in a horribly out of tune voice, and the little acolytes were up front picking their noses in front of the congregation. It was weird having to sit down while almost everyone else went up for communion, but I think thats a Catholic thing not a Costa Rican thing. There werent any instruments, either. After church my tico dad and brother went to the Costa Rican equivalent of Walmart in Heredia, called Hiper Mas. Everything is so expensive in Heredia!! My tico dad told me that my Champion tennis shoes, which I purchased for 22 bucks at a Payless in Sherman, Tx, are worth 100 bucks here. A couple of their family members are going to Los Angeles to buy clothes to resale here, because they are literally at least triple the price here. An Aeropostale tshirt which values less than 20 at home is 40 or 60 here. The mall prices are outrageous, too.
After shopping, we had a little family party where my tico mom made me manicotti because I told her in passing that I really liked it. My family are the sweetest people, I really lucked out with my homestay. I do not like parties, however. It is so hard to understand everyone because they talk so fast. And my family tells them that I am good at Spanish so they dont hesitate to talk to me, REALLY REALLY fast. I feel stupid having to ask them to repeat what they said over and over again. But oh well. I was so glad that this party didnt last forever... the family left after 2 hours or so. The first party I went to here lasted almost 6 hours. That is pretty tiring when you cant understand what anyone is saying, and the guys hit on you, and the women glare at you. Its definitely a little different from home.

Well, I am going to finish up my stuff on this wonderfully fast computer at this new internet cafe I found and walk home, because its 5pm and its about to get really dark. And it is not safe to walk alone, or with a friend, after dark. Ciao!! (Thats a Costa Rican saying too, not just an Italian one. I dont know how its spelt, though).

Oh, and USA lost to Ghana! Very sad.

No comments:

Post a Comment