Wednesday, June 9, 2010

Day 4...

Well, today is day 4 in my month of Costa Rica. Day 4 without cellphones, cars, or computer let alone internet in my near reach. Right now Im using a school computer which Im pretty sure you have to be studying on but its nicer than going to the internet cafe. Theres a window AC in here, for one reason.

Well, I have a lot of mixed feelings about Costa Rica. I love learning the language, I love my little Tica familia, and I love the mountains. But some things are kind of hard to deal with. For example, Im not used to having to dodge cars and motorcycles who accelerate when youre trying to cross the street. Or wear my backpack in the front so no one steals anything. Or avoid eye contact with guys who yell things like beautiful and kiss me at us girls. Before I came, I considered renting a house and living for a year here while teaching at the intercultura school. But sometimes now I dont now if I can make it for a month. Im here to learn the language, but the atmosphere is very hard for a Texas girl to get used to. And the fact that Ticos apparently hate white people is hard to take, also.

Its hard not being able to talk to my boyfriend at all times, too. Im used to him either being with me, or being able to text him. Its definitely a challenge. I miss him, but travelling and learning abroad is very important to me. I just wish he could come, too...

Today my teacher took me and my one other classmate to the capitol, San Jose. As soon as I can, Ill upload some amazing pics.. Of the presidents house, of the theatre which looks like it was picked up and brought here from Rome, and the two museums we went to today. The first one, the National Museum of Costa Rica, was pretty interesting. In class were learning about the indigenous people of Costa Rica like the bribris and some other tribe names I cant remember. Basically Costa Ricas version of the Mayans and Incans. Oh yeah, and I cant put the little quote sign. Its not that I have bad grammar.

Anyways, the National Museum of Costa Rica has a bunch of pre-colombian artifacts. Like these huge stoney spheres of all different sizes which are like the Costa Rican equivalent of the statues on Easter Island. Supposedly, the larger the perfectly round stone, the more power a tribe had. They range from HUGE stones like a couple meters in diameter to like half a meter in diameter. Sorry, Im in the Costa Rican way of measuring right now. No feet for me. Its very interesting, because its such a mystery. And the museum had its usual really really old pottery and statues with very large... ahem. I took a picture but I dont know if its general web use appropriate. Lol.

The Museum of Gold was very boring for me. Im not really interested in looking at artifacts, and the Mesuem of Gold just had stuff made out of... gold. Like little freaky statues of bats and lizards and stuff. It was kinda cool, but not 3500 colones cool. Thats about seven dollars in American. You basically just double the amount and then move the decimal to the left two places. Easist thing to do.

I bought a really cute tiny tiny purse. I really want some super light linen pants, because the weirdest thing is Ticos DO NOT wear shorts. So if you wear shorts, all the guys stare at you. Not very nice. I would like to not stick out so much. Plus the pants look pretty cool... Like Egyptian princess cool. HAHA jk. Everyone here wears jeans or pants or long capris, because its winter for them. But its HOT to me!!!

Anyways, Ill try to put some pics up soon. I have no way of uploading them unless I borrow my teachers computer which has a slot for a memory card. Hasta Luego!

No comments:

Post a Comment